Remarkably, a study showed that most insurance customers kept buying from the same company for four years or more, and 38% of drivers have never even compared quotes to find affordable rates. Many drivers in Tennessee can cut their rates by as much as $475 a year, but most tend to underestimate how much they could save if they bought a different policy.
The easiest way to find discount auto insurance rates is to regularly compare price quotes from companies who can sell car insurance in Nashville.
- Learn about policy coverages and the measures you can control to lower rates. Many risk factors that are responsible for high rates like accidents, careless driving, and a substandard credit history can be eliminated by making lifestyle changes or driving safer. Keep reading for ideas to prevent high rates and find additional discounts.
- Compare price quotes from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can only give rate quotes from a single company like GEICO or Allstate, while independent agencies can provide prices from many different companies.
- Compare the new rate quotes to your existing policy to see if a cheaper rate is available in Nashville. If you can save money and switch companies, make sure coverage is continuous and does not lapse.
- Give notification to your agent or company of your intent to cancel the current policy and submit a down payment along with a completed application to the new company. Once the application is submitted, put the certificate verifying coverage above your visor, in the console, or in the glove compartment.
The critical component of shopping around is that you’ll want to make sure you compare the same coverage limits and deductibles on each quote and and to look at as many carriers as you can. Doing this enables a level playing field and a thorough price selection.
Quoting and comparing rates for the best coverage in Nashville is not that difficult. Practically every car owner who shops around for car insurance will most likely be able to lower their premiums. But Tennessee car owners should learn the way companies determine how much to charge and use it to find better rates.
There are several ways to get quotes from all the different companies. The quickest method to find affordable Buick Rainier insurance rates is to use the internet to compare rates.
Comparing price quotes online is fast and free, and it makes it obsolete to call or drive to all the different Nashville insurance agencies. Buying insurance online makes this unnecessary unless you want the advice and guidance of an agent trained in personal lines coverage. Some companies do allow you to price shop online and get advice from an agent in your area. Just remember that more quotes helps increase your odds of locating the best price.
The companies shown below have been selected to offer free quotes in Tennessee. If you wish to find cheap auto insurance in Nashville, we suggest you get rate quotes from several of them in order to get a fair rate comparison.
Determine discounts on Nashville insurance
Insurance is not inexpensive, but you may be missing some discounts that can drop the cost substantially. Some discounts will apply when you get a quote, but once in a while a discount must be requested specifically before you get the savings.
- Good Grades Discount – Being a good student can be rewarded with saving of up to 25%. Many companies even apply the discount to college students up to age 25.
- 55 and Retired – Drivers over the age of 55 are able to get a small decrease in premiums.
- Own a Home and Save – Owning a house in Nashville can help you save on insurance because it demonstrates responsibility.
- Full Payment Discount – If you pay your bill all at once as opposed to paying monthly you can avoid monthly service charges.
- Telematics Data Discounts – People who choose to allow their company to look at vehicle usage by installing a telematics device like Allstate’s Drivewise could see a rate decrease if they are good drivers.
- Clubs and Organizations – Joining a professional or civic organization can get you a small discount when getting a Nashville auto insurance quote.
- Accident Free – Nashville drivers who stay claim-free can save substantially as opposed to accident-prone drivers.
It’s important to understand that most of the big mark downs will not be given to the overall cost of the policy. Some only reduce individual premiums such as comprehensive or collision. Even though the math looks like all those discounts means the company will pay you, you aren’t that lucky.
A few companies that may offer these money-saving discounts include:
It’s a good idea to ask every prospective company which credits you are entitled to. A few discounts might not be available to policyholders in your area.
Exclusive and independent car insurance agents
Some consumers would rather talk to an insurance agent and that is a personal choice. One of the benefits of price shopping on the web is that drivers can save money and get lower rates and still have an agent to talk to. And supporting small agencies is important particularly in Nashville.
Upon completion of this form (opens in new window), your insurance data is submitted to local insurance agents that can provide free Nashville auto insurance quotes for your coverage. You don’t have to find an agent on your own because quoted prices will be sent to you instantly. You can get cheaper car insurance rates and an insurance agent to talk to. If you want to compare prices from one company in particular, you would need to search and find their rate quote page and fill out their quote form.
What type of Nashville car insurance agent is right for you?
If you want a local agent, it can be helpful to understand the types of insurance agents and how they function. Nashville agents can be classified as either independent agents or exclusive agents depending on their employer.
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
These type of agents do not have single company limitations so they can quote policies through many companies enabling the ability to shop coverage around. If you want to switch companies, an independent agent can move your coverage and you can keep the same agent. When comparing car insurance prices, it’s recommended you compare prices from multiple independent agents to have the best price comparison.
Featured below is a partial list of independent agencies in Nashville that may be able to give you price quotes.
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Agents that elect to be exclusive generally can only insure with one company and examples are Allstate, Farmers Insurance, State Farm, and AAA. They generally cannot shop your coverage around so if the price isn’t competitive there isn’t much they can do. These agents are usually quite knowledgeable in insurance sales which aids in selling service over price.
The following are exclusive agencies in Nashville willing to provide rate quotes.
Finding a good insurance agency should depend on more than just the price. A good agent in Nashville will have answers to these questions.
- Has the agent ever had any license suspensions?
- Is working in the agency their full-time job?
- How does the company pay claims for a total loss?
- Does the company have a solid financial rating?
- Do the coverages you’re quoting properly cover your vehicle?
- If you raise deductibles, how much can you save?
- If you have an accident, are you able to get your vehicle repaired at the shop of your choice?
- Do clients work directly with the agent or are most inquiries handled by a CSR?
You are unique and your car insurance should be too
When quoting and choosing the right insurance coverage for your personal vehicles, there really is not a single plan that fits everyone. Each situation is unique.
For instance, these questions might help in determining if your insurance needs might need professional guidance.
- I have a DUI can I still get coverage?
- How can I get the company to pay a claim?
- At what point should I drop full coverage?
- Does coverage follow the driver or the vehicle?
- Am I covered if I hit a deer?
- What is PIP insurance?
- When should I not file a claim?
If you can’t answer these questions but you know they apply to you, you might consider talking to an agent. To find an agent in your area, take a second and complete this form.
Car insurance does more than just protect your car
Despite the high cost of buying insurance for a Buick Rainier in Nashville, paying for car insurance is mandatory in Tennessee but it also protects more than you think.
- The majority of states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means you are required to buy specific limits of liability coverage in order to be legal. In Tennessee these limits are 25/50/15 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $15,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you bought your Rainier with a loan, most banks will require that you have insurance to ensure loan repayment if the vehicle is totaled. If you let the policy lapse, the bank may buy a policy for your Buick at an extremely high rate and make you pay for the much more expensive policy.
- Car insurance preserves both your assets and your car. It will also reimburse you for all forms of medical expenses for not only you but also any passengers injured in an accident. Liability coverage also covers all legal expenses up to the policy limit in the event you are sued. If your vehicle suffers damage from an accident or hail, collision and comprehensive coverages will cover the damage repairs after a deductible is paid.
The benefits of insuring your car outweigh the cost, especially if you ever need it. The average driver in America overpays more than $855 a year so compare quotes from several companies every year to make sure the price is not too high.
Car insurance coverage information
Learning about specific coverages of your policy can be of help when determining which coverages you need and the correct deductibles and limits. Policy terminology can be ambiguous and reading a policy is terribly boring.
Coverage for uninsured or underinsured drivers – Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist coverage gives you protection from other drivers when they either have no liability insurance or not enough. Covered claims include medical payments for you and your occupants and damage to your Buick Rainier.
Because many people only purchase the least amount of liability that is required (Tennessee limits are 25/50/15), it doesn’t take a major accident to exceed their coverage limits. This is the reason having UM/UIM coverage is a good idea. Most of the time these coverages do not exceed the liability coverage limits.
Coverage for liability – Liability insurance protects you from damage that occurs to a person or their property in an accident. Split limit liability has three limits of coverage: per person bodily injury, per accident bodily injury, and a property damage limit. You might see values of 25/50/15 that means you have a limit of $25,000 per injured person, $50,000 for the entire accident, and a total limit of $15,000 for damage to vehicles and property. Another option is one number which is a combined single limit that pays claims from the same limit with no separate limits for injury or property damage.
Liability insurance covers things such as funeral expenses, pain and suffering and structural damage. How much coverage you buy is a personal decision, but buy as much as you can afford. Tennessee requires drivers to carry at least 25/50/15 but it’s recommended drivers buy more coverage.
The next chart shows why buying the state minimum limits may not be high enough to adequately cover claims.
Comprehensive insurance – Comprehensive insurance pays to fix your vehicle from damage OTHER than collision with another vehicle or object. You first must pay your deductible and then insurance will cover the rest of the damage.
Comprehensive can pay for things such as vandalism, hitting a deer, fire damage, falling objects and a tree branch falling on your vehicle. The maximum amount you can receive from a comprehensive claim is the market value of your vehicle, so if it’s not worth much more than your deductible it’s not worth carrying full coverage.
Coverage for medical expenses – Medical payments and Personal Injury Protection insurance kick in for short-term medical expenses for pain medications, doctor visits, dental work, funeral costs and nursing services. The coverages can be used to fill the gap from your health insurance policy or if you are not covered by health insurance. They cover all vehicle occupants in addition to if you are hit as a while walking down the street. PIP is not universally available but it provides additional coverages not offered by medical payments coverage
Collision – This pays for damage to your Rainier resulting from a collision with an object or car. You first must pay a deductible then your collision coverage will kick in.
Collision can pay for things such as sideswiping another vehicle, scraping a guard rail and crashing into a ditch. Collision is rather expensive coverage, so analyze the benefit of dropping coverage from lower value vehicles. It’s also possible to raise the deductible on your Rainier to get cheaper collision coverage.
A little work can save a LOT of money
Consumers switch companies for a number of reasons such as high rates after DUI convictions, an unsatisfactory settlement offer, unfair underwriting practices or high prices. It doesn’t matter what your reason, finding a new car insurance company can be pretty painless.
We just covered many ways to compare Buick Rainier insurance auto insurance rates in Nashville. The key concept to understand is the more companies you get premium rates for, the better your comparison will be. Consumers may even find the biggest savings come from a smaller regional carrier.
When getting Nashville auto insurance quotes online, don’t be tempted to buy less coverage just to save a little money. In many cases, someone sacrificed full coverage to discover at claim time that it was a big error on their part. Your goal is to buy the best coverage you can find at the best possible price, but don’t skip important coverages to save money.
- Bodily Injury Coverage (Liberty Mutual)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance Quotes for High Risk Drivers in Nashville? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance for a Toyota Corolla in Nashville? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Nashville Car Insurance Rates for 16 Year Olds? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance Rates for Teachers in Nashville? (FAQ)
- Neck Injury FAQ (iihs.org)
- What are my Rights when Filing a Claim? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Safety Tips for Teen Drivers (Insurance Information Institute)
- Distracted Driving Extends Beyond Texting (State Farm)