Would you like to save money by finding cheaper GMC Envoy insurance in Nashville? Do you get exhausted from sacrificing other expenses to pay high insurance rates every month? Your situation is no different than millions of other consumers.
Inconceivable but true, nearly 70% of consumers have bought insurance from the same company for over three years, and about 40% of consumers have never even compared rates from other companies. Tennessee insurance shoppers could save almost $480 each year just by shopping around, but they underestimate how much savings they would realize if they switch to a new company.
Consumers have multiple car insurance companies to purchase coverage from, and even though it’s nice to have a selection, more choices can make it harder to adequately compare rates for GMC Envoy insurance in Nashville.
When comparison shopping, comparing more prices provides better odds of finding the best rates. Not every company allows you to get Nashville Envoy insurance quotes over the internet, so you need to compare prices from those companies as well.
The providers in the list below have been selected to offer quotes in Nashville, TN. To buy the cheapest auto insurance in Nashville, TN, we suggest you get price quotes from several of them in order to get a fair rate comparison.
Best reasons to buy insurance in Tennessee
Despite the potentially high cost of GMC Envoy insurance, buying insurance is most likely required but also gives you several important benefits.
First, just about all states have minimum liability requirements which means the state requires a specific minimum amount of liability insurance in order to be legal. In Tennessee these limits are 25/50/15 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $15,000 of property damage coverage.
Second, if your vehicle has a lienholder, most banks will require that you have physical damage coverage to guarantee their interest in the vehicle. If you do not pay your insurance premiums, the bank may insure your GMC for a lot more money and force you to reimburse them a much higher amount than you were paying before.
Third, insurance protects both your GMC Envoy and your assets. It will also provide coverage for medical expenses for yourself as well as anyone injured by you. Liability insurance, one of your policy coverages, also covers all legal expenses up to the policy limit if you are named as a defendant in an auto accident. If you receive damage to your vehicle caused by a storm or accident, comprehensive (other-than-collision) and collision coverage will cover the repair costs.
The benefits of buying enough insurance more than offset the price you pay, especially if you ever need it. Today the average American driver is currently overpaying as much as $800 each year so it’s recommended you shop around at every policy renewal to be sure current rates are still competitive.
Get discounts on Nashville car insurance
Insuring your vehicles can cost a lot, but you may find discounts to cut the cost considerably. A few discounts will automatically apply when you quote, but less common discounts must be inquired about before they will apply. If you check and find you aren’t receiving every discount you deserve, you could be getting lower rates.
- Discounts for Good Drivers – Drivers without accidents can pay as much as 50% less compared to rates paid by drivers with frequent claims.
- E-sign – Some of the larger companies will discount your bill up to fifty bucks for buying your policy on your computer.
- Membership in Organizations – Affiliation with a professional or civic organization is a simple method to lower premiums when shopping for car insurance.
- Passive Restraints – Factory options such as air bags and/or automatic seat belt systems can receive discounts of 20 to 30 percent.
- Good Students Pay Less – A discount for being a good student could provide a savings of up to 20% or more. Many companies even apply the discount to college students well after school through age 25.
- No Claim Discounts – Insureds with no claims or accidents pay less as opposed to insureds who have frequent claims or accidents.
A quick disclaimer, most discount credits are not given to all coverage premiums. Some only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like medical payments or collision. So when it seems like you could get a free car insurance policy, companies don’t profit that way.
Larger car insurance companies and their possible discounts are shown below.
- GEICO has savings for military active duty, federal employee, multi-policy, five-year accident-free, and driver training.
- SAFECO includes discounts for safe driver, accident prevention training, anti-theft, teen safety rewards, and teen safe driver.
- State Farm has discounts for student away at school, Drive Safe & Save, multiple autos, multiple policy, passive restraint, and safe vehicle.
- MetLife offers discounts including multi-policy, claim-free, good student, defensive driver, accident-free, good driver
- 21st Century offers discounts for anti-lock brakes, defensive driver, homeowners, automatic seat belts, and air bags.
- Progressive policyholders can earn discounts including homeowner, continuous coverage, online quote discount, online signing, multi-policy, good student, and multi-vehicle.
It’s a good idea to ask every prospective company to give you their best rates. Savings may not be available in Nashville.
Compare prices but work with a local Nashville insurance agent
Many people just want to sit down and talk to an agent. One of the best bonuses of getting online price quotes is the fact that you can find the best rates but still work with a licensed agent.
To find an agent, once you fill out this form (opens in new window), the coverage information is emailed to participating agents in Nashville that give free quotes for your insurance coverage. You don’t have to contact any agents since rate quotes are delivered to the email address you provide. You can find the lowest rates AND an agent nearby. If you want to compare rates from one company in particular, just visit that company’s website and fill out their quote form.
Choosing a provider should include more criteria than just the bottom line cost. These questions are important to ask:
- Do they specialize in personal lines coverage in Nashville?
- How experienced are they in personal risk management?
- What is the agency’s Better Business Bureau rating?
- Will the quote change when the policy is issued?
- How does the company pay claims for a total loss?
- Is there any savings for paying the full premium?
- Do they have advanced training designations such as CPCU, AAI, AIC, or CIC?
When researching a reputable insurance agent or broker, it’s helpful to know the types of agencies to choose from. Nashville agents can be classified as either independent agents or exclusive agents depending on their employer.
Exclusive Insurance Agents
These agents can only write with one company like AAA, Allstate, State Farm, or Farmers Insurance. These agents are not able to shop your coverage around so they have to upsell other benefits. Exclusive insurance agents are trained well on the products they sell and that enables them to sell even at higher rates.
Below is a short list of exclusive insurance agents in Nashville who may provide you with price quotes.
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
Agents in the independent channel are not required to write business for one company and that is an advantage because they can write policies with lots of companies and find the cheapest insurance rates. To transfer your coverage to a different company, they can switch companies in-house which requires no work on your part.
When shopping rates, we recommend you include price quotes from a few independent agents for maximum quote selection.
The following are independent insurance agencies in Nashville that are able to give comparison quotes.
Nationwide Insurance: Gaffney Insurance Agency and Financial Services LLC
946 Jefferson St #103 – Nashville, TN 37208 – (615) 733-3133 – View Map
If you feel you receive satisfactory answers as well as the cheapest GMC Envoy insurance in Nashville quotes, you may have found an insurance agent that meets the requirements to properly insure your vehicles.
Car insurance coverage specifics
Having a good grasp of a car insurance policy helps when choosing the right coverages at the best deductibles and correct limits. The terms used in a policy can be confusing and even agents have difficulty translating policy wording. These are the normal coverages found on most car insurance policies.
Coverage for liability
This coverage protects you from damage that occurs to a person or their property that is your fault. This insurance protects YOU against claims from other people, and does not provide coverage for your own vehicle damage or injuries.
It consists of three limits, bodily injury for each person injured, bodily injury for the entire accident and a property damage limit. You commonly see policy limits of 25/50/15 which stand for $25,000 in coverage for each person’s injuries, a per accident bodily injury limit of $50,000, and a total limit of $15,000 for damage to vehicles and property.
Liability coverage pays for claims such as repair costs for stationary objects, repair bills for other people’s vehicles, bail bonds and pain and suffering. The amount of liability coverage you purchase is your choice, but consider buying as much as you can afford. Tennessee state law requires minimum liability limits of 25/50/15 but you should consider buying more liability than the minimum.
The next chart demonstrates why buying the state minimum limits may not be high enough to cover claims.
Collision insurance covers damage to your Envoy resulting from colliding with a stationary object or other vehicle. A deductible applies then your collision coverage will kick in.
Collision coverage protects against things like driving through your garage door, crashing into a ditch and hitting a parking meter. This coverage can be expensive, so you might think about dropping it from older vehicles. Drivers also have the option to choose a higher deductible on your Envoy to bring the cost down.
Coverage for medical expenses
Personal Injury Protection (PIP) and medical payments coverage kick in for short-term medical expenses like surgery, nursing services and ambulance fees. They can be used to fill the gap from your health insurance plan or if you are not covered by health insurance. Coverage applies to all vehicle occupants and also covers being hit by a car walking across the street. PIP is not an option in every state but it provides additional coverages not offered by medical payments coverage
Coverage for uninsured or underinsured drivers
Your UM/UIM coverage provides protection from other motorists when they either are underinsured or have no liability coverage at all. Covered losses include injuries sustained by your vehicle’s occupants as well as damage to your GMC Envoy.
Because many people carry very low liability coverage limits (which is 25/50/15), their limits can quickly be used up. This is the reason having UM/UIM coverage is important protection for you and your family.
Comprehensive car insurance
This pays to fix your vehicle from damage that is not covered by collision coverage. You need to pay your deductible first then your comprehensive coverage will pay.
Comprehensive coverage protects against things like vandalism, damage from getting keyed, rock chips in glass and damage from flooding. The most you’ll receive from a claim is the ACV or actual cash value, so if your deductible is as high as the vehicle’s value consider removing comprehensive coverage.
Quote more to save more
When searching for affordable Nashville car insurance quotes, do not buy poor coverage just to save money. There have been many cases where someone sacrificed uninsured motorist or liability limits to discover at claim time that the savings was not a smart move. The goal is to find the BEST coverage for the lowest cost, but do not sacrifice coverage to save money.
We just covered a lot of ways to save on GMC Envoy insurance in Nashville. The key thing to remember is the more price quotes you have, the better likelihood of getting affordable GMC Envoy insurance quotes. You may even discover the most savings is with a small mutual company. These companies may often insure only within specific states and give better rates compared to the large companies like Allstate, GEICO and Progressive.
Steps to finding cheaper GMC Envoy insurance in Nashville
The most effective way to get cheaper GMC Envoy insurance in Nashville is to regularly compare quotes from insurers who provide auto insurance in Tennessee. Rates can be compared by completing these steps.
- Read and learn about car insurance and the factors you can control to prevent expensive coverage. Many things that drive up the price such as careless driving and a low credit rating can be eliminated by making lifestyle changes or driving safer.
- Get rate quotes from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Exclusive and direct companies can only give rate quotes from a single company like Progressive or Farmers Insurance, while agents who are independent can provide price quotes from multiple companies.
- Compare the new rates to your existing rates and see if there is a cheaper rate. If you find a lower rate quote and decide to switch, make sure the effective date of the new policy is the same as the expiration date of the old one.
- Give notification to your current company to cancel your current policy and submit payment and a signed application to the new company. Immediately upon receiving it, store the certificate verifying proof of insurance with the vehicle registration.
One thing to point out is to try to use similar limits and deductibles on each quote request and and to get rates from as many companies as possible. Doing this enables an apples-to-apples comparison and a complete selection of prices.
More detailed insurance information is available in the articles below:
- Prom Night Tips for Teen Drivers (State Farm)
- How Much are Car Insurance Rates for a Ford F-150 in Nashville? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Nashville Auto Insurance Quotes for a Nissan Rogue? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for a Ford Escape in Nashville? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Nashville Auto Insurance Rates for Felons? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Nashville Car Insurance Rates for Lyft Drivers? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance Rates for Ride Shares in Nashville? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance Rates for Seniors in Nashville? (FAQ)
- Side Impact Crash Tests (iihs.org)
- Speed and Speed Limit FAQ (iihs.org)