How long has it been since you shopped around for low-cost car insurance rates in Nashville, TN? Nashville consumers have lots of choices when looking for the lowest priced Chevy Colorado insurance. You can either waste hours driving around to get rate comparisons or save time using the internet to find the lowest rates. There are both good and bad ways to find car insurance online so you’re going to learn the absolute fastest way to quote coverages for your Chevy and locate the cheapest rates either online or from Nashville insurance agents.
Smart consumers take time to compare rates every six months since insurance prices change quite often. Just because you had the lowest rate on Chevy Colorado insurance in Nashville on your last policy the chances are good that you can find a lower premium rate today. Ignore everything you know about car insurance because we’re going to show you the proper way to properly buy coverages and cut your premium.
If you have a policy now or are just looking to switch companies, follow these tips to find the best rates and possibly find even better coverage. Our objective in writing this article is to help educate you on how auto insurance companies operate and some money-saving tips. Shoppers just have to learn the most effective way to compare company rates on the web.
Most major insurance companies give prices for coverage on their websites. Getting quotes for Chevy Colorado insurance in Nashville doesn’t take a lot of time as all you need to do is type in your coverage information on the page. When the form is submitted, the quote system collects your driving and credit reports and generates pricing information determined by many factors.
This makes comparing rates easy, and it is important to do this if you want to get affordable rates.
To get comparison pricing now, check out the car insurance providers below. If you have a policy now, it’s recommended you enter the coverages as close as possible to your current policy. This guarantees you will be getting an apples-to-apples comparison for similar insurance coverage.
The companies shown below are our best choices to provide free quotes in Tennessee. If you want the best car insurance in Nashville, it’s a good idea that you click on several of them to get the lowest price.
Car insurance data for a Chevy Colorado
The data table shown below outlines estimates of coverage prices for Chevy Colorado models. Learning how prices are determined can help drivers make informed decisions.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Colorado LT 2WD||$158||$380||$326||$20||$98||$982||$82|
|Colorado LT Extended Cab 2WD||$186||$462||$326||$20||$98||$1,092||$91|
|Colorado LT 4WD||$186||$380||$278||$16||$84||$944||$79|
|Colorado LT Crew Cab 2WD||$186||$462||$326||$20||$98||$1,092||$91|
|Colorado LT Extended Cab 4WD||$186||$380||$278||$16||$84||$944||$79|
|Colorado LT Crew Cab 4WD||$214||$462||$278||$16||$84||$1,054||$88|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data assumes single male driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $100 deductibles, and Tennessee minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include homeowner, multi-vehicle, safe-driver, multi-policy, and claim-free. Table data does not factor in the specific area where the vehicle is garaged which can affect coverage rates greatly.
An analysis of deductible level
The hardest decision when buying coverage is which deductibles should you choose. The comparisons below illustrate the differences in premium rates between high and low policy deductibles. The first data set uses a $100 physical damage coverage deductible and the second rate table uses a $1,000 deductible.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Colorado LT 2WD||$184||$368||$288||$18||$86||$969||$81|
|Colorado LT Extended Cab 2WD||$216||$448||$288||$18||$86||$1,081||$90|
|Colorado LT 4WD||$216||$368||$246||$14||$74||$943||$79|
|Colorado LT Crew Cab 2WD||$216||$448||$288||$18||$86||$1,081||$90|
|Colorado LT Extended Cab 4WD||$216||$368||$246||$14||$74||$943||$79|
|Colorado LT Crew Cab 4WD||$248||$448||$246||$14||$74||$1,055||$88|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Colorado LT 2WD||$102||$194||$288||$18||$86||$688||$57|
|Colorado LT Extended Cab 2WD||$120||$236||$288||$18||$86||$748||$62|
|Colorado LT 4WD||$120||$194||$246||$14||$74||$648||$54|
|Colorado LT Crew Cab 2WD||$120||$236||$288||$18||$86||$748||$62|
|Colorado LT Extended Cab 4WD||$120||$194||$246||$14||$74||$648||$54|
|Colorado LT Crew Cab 4WD||$138||$236||$246||$14||$74||$708||$59|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Price data assumes married male driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, and Tennessee minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include homeowner, multi-policy, safe-driver, multi-vehicle, and claim-free. Premium amounts do not factor in specific location information which can affect insurance rates noticeably.
We can estimate from the data above that using a $100 deductible will cost you approximately $27 more each month or $324 annually across all Chevrolet Colorado models than requesting the higher $1,000 deductible. Since the policyholder would be required to pay $900 more to file a claim with a $1,000 deductible as compared to a $100 deductible, if you go at least 33 months between claim filings, you would save money going with the higher deductible.
The chart below highlights how deductible choice and can impact Chevy Colorado insurance costs for each different age group. The data assumes a married male driver, comprehensive and collision coverage, and no discounts are applied to the premium.
How accidents and tickets impact rates
The information below highlights how speeding tickets and at-fault fender-benders can drive up Chevy Colorado insurance costs for each age group. The price estimates are based on a married male driver, comp and collision included, $1,000 deductibles, and no policy discounts are applied.
Cost difference between full coverage and liability
The example below shows the comparison of Chevy Colorado auto insurance rates with full coverage and liability only. Data assumes no claims, a clean driving record, $250 deductibles, single status, and no additional discounts are factored in.
Deciding between full coverage and liability only
There is no set rule of when to phase out physical damage insurance, but there is a general school of thought. If the annual cost of coverage is 10% or more of the replacement cost of your vehicle minus the policy deductible, then you might consider buying liability only.
For example, let’s assume your Chevy Colorado claim settlement value is $9,000 and you have $1,000 physical damage deductibles. If your vehicle is destroyed, you would only receive $8,000 after paying your policy deductible. If premiums are more than $800 a year for comprehensive and collision coverage, then you may need to consider dropping full coverage.
There are some scenarios where only buying liability is not financially feasible. If you still have a lienholder on your title, you have to maintain full coverage to protect the lienholder’s interest. Also, if your emergency fund is not enough to purchase a different vehicle if your current one is damaged, you should maintain full coverage.
Three main reasons to buy insurance
Even though it’s not necessarily cheap to insure a Chevy in Nashville, insurance may be required for several reasons.
- Just about all states have compulsory liability insurance requirements which means you are required to carry a specific level of liability coverage in order to get the vehicle licensed. In Tennessee these limits are 25/50/15 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $15,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your Chevy has a loan, most banks will require that you buy full coverage to guarantee loan repayment. If you let the policy lapse, the lender will be forced to insure your Chevy at a much higher premium rate and force you to pay for it.
- Insurance protects not only your Chevy Colorado but also your assets. Insurance will pay for medical bills for not only you but also any passengers injured in an accident. Liability coverage will also pay to defend you if you are named as a defendant in an auto accident. If damage is caused by hail or an accident, your policy will pay to restore your vehicle to like-new condition.
The benefits of carrying adequate insurance are definitely more than the cost, particularly when you have a large claim. But the average driver in Tennessee is overpaying more than $700 annually so you should quote your policy with other companies once a year at a minimum to save money.
Car insurance policy discounts you can’t miss
Auto insurance companies don’t always advertise every discount available in an easy-to-find place, so below is a list some of the more common in addition to some of the lesser obvious discounts you could be receiving when you buy Nashville car insurance online. If you do not check that you are getting every discount available, you could be saving more on your car insurance.
- Discounts for Responsible Drivers – Drivers who don’t get into accidents can save up to 40% or more on their Nashville car insurance quote than less cautious drivers.
- Driver’s Ed – It’s a good idea to have your young drivers successfully complete driver’s ed class if offered at their school.
- Payment Method – By making one initial payment rather than paying monthly you may have a lower total premium amount.
- Clubs and Organizations – Participating in qualifying clubs or civic groups could earn you a nice discount on your next car insurance statement.
- Military Deployment Discount – Having a family member in the military may lower your car insurance rates slightly.
- Save over 55 – Older drivers may be able to get better car insurance rates.
- Discounts for Multiple Vehicles – Drivers who insure primary and secondary vehicles on one policy may reduce the rate for each vehicle.
- Defensive Driver Discount – Participating in a class that teaches driver safety techniques is a good idea and can lower rates if your company offers it.
- Smart Student Discounts – Maintaining excellent grades may save as much as 25% on a Nashville car insurance quote. Earning this discount can benefit you up until you turn 25.
Just know that most of the big mark downs will not be given to the entire cost. Most only cut individual premiums such as medical payments or collision. Even though the math looks like all those discounts means the company will pay you, it just doesn’t work that way.
The information below shows the difference between Chevy Colorado insurance premiums with and without policy discounts. The premium estimates are based on a male driver, a clean driving record, no at-fault accidents, Tennessee state minimum liability limits, comprehensive and collision coverage, and $500 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with homeowner, multi-policy, multi-car, safe-driver, marriage, and claim-free discounts applied.
Auto insurance companies that may offer policyholders some of the above discounts include:
If you want low cost Nashville car insurance quotes, ask each company or agent which discounts they offer. All car insurance discounts may not apply everywhere. To locate providers who offer free Chevy Colorado insurance quotes in Tennessee, click this link.
Do I need an insurance agency?
A lot of people prefer to get advice from a local agent. Most agents can answer important questions and help submit paperwork. One of the benefits of comparing rates online is you can get the lowest rates and still have an agent to talk to.
By using this simple form, your insurance data is sent to local insurance agents in Nashville who will give you bids for your coverage. It makes it easy because there is no need to contact any insurance agencies since rate quotes are delivered to you directly. In the event you want to get a rate quote from one company in particular, just go to their quote page and fill out their quote form.
Finding the right insurer requires you to look at more than just a cheap quote. These are some valid questions you should ask.
- Are they involved in claim handling?
- Does the agency have a current Errors and Omissions policy?
- Will you get a loaner vehicle if you car is being repaired?
- Does the agency provide any after hours assistance?
- How many years have they been established?
- Which insurance company do they prefer to write with?
Two types of auto insurance agents
If you’re trying to find a good Nashville insurance agent, you need to know there are two different agency structures and how they can write your policy. Car insurance agencies can be classified as either exclusive agents or independent agents. Both types of agents can do a good job, but it’s worth mentioning the subtle differences because it can impact the kind of agent you use.
Exclusive Car Insurance Agencies
Agents that elect to be exclusive can only provide one company’s prices like Farmers Insurance, State Farm, or Allstate. Exclusive agents are unable to provide rate quotes from other companies so always compare other rates. Exclusive agents are well schooled on sales techniques which aids in selling service over price. Consumers sometimes buy from the same agent for years partially due to high brand loyalty rather than having low rates.
Listed below are Nashville exclusive agencies who may provide you with price quote information.
- Terry W Jones – State Farm Insurance Agent
545 Mainstream Dr Ste 104 – Nashville, TN 37228 – (615) 256-6066 – View Map
- Lester McClain – State Farm Insurance Agent
2209 Crestmoor Rd #200 – Nashville, TN 37215 – (615) 383-0449 – View Map
- Allstate Insurance: Royce Williams
5517 Charlotte Pike – Nashville, TN 37209 – (615) 356-4800 – View Map
Independent Car Insurance Agencies
Agents that elect to be independent are not required to write business for one company and that is an advantage because they can write policies with a variety of different insurance companies and find the cheapest car insurance rates. If they find a lower price, your agent can switch companies and the insured can keep the same agent. If you are comparing car insurance prices, you absolutely need to contact multiple independent agents in order to have the best price comparison. Most can insure with lesser-known insurance companies which may provide better rates.
The following are Nashville independent insurance agencies that are able to give comparison quotes.
- Nationwide Insurance: April Bowers Agency Inc
211 Donelson Pike #8 – Nashville, TN 37214 – (615) 883-8183 – View Map
- Varallo Insurance Agency
296 White Bridge Pike – Nashville, TN 37209 – (615) 352-5747 – View Map
- Affordable Insurance Agency
3225 Gallatin Pike – Nashville, TN 37216 – (615) 645-1900 – View Map
Once you have received acceptable answers for all questions you ask as well as an affordable premium quote, most likely you have located an auto insurance agent that meets the criteria to insure your vehicles.
How to know if you need help
When buying a policy, there really is not a “best” method to buy coverage. Your needs are unique to you so your insurance should reflect that
These are some specific questions may help highlight whether or not you would benefit from an agent’s advice.
- Where can I find DUI or SR-22 insurance?
- Does car insurance cover theft of personal property?
- Do I need PIP (personal injury protection) coverage in Tennessee?
- How much underlying liability do I need for an umbrella policy?
- When would I need rental car insurance?
- Is there a penalty for late payment?
- What is an adequate liability insurance limit?
- Are there any extra discounts I can get?
- Do I need to file an SR-22 for a DUI in Tennessee?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions but one or more may apply to you then you might want to talk to an agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, complete this form or click here for a list of car insurance companies in your area. It’s fast, doesn’t cost anything and may give you better protection.
Specific coverage details
Understanding the coverages of your auto insurance policy can be of help when determining the best coverages and proper limits and deductibles. Policy terminology can be confusing and nobody wants to actually read their policy. Listed below are typical coverages available from auto insurance companies.
Collision insurance covers damage to your Colorado resulting from colliding with an object or car. You will need to pay your deductible and then insurance will cover the remainder.
Collision coverage pays for claims such as scraping a guard rail, backing into a parked car, sustaining damage from a pot hole and damaging your car on a curb. This coverage can be expensive, so consider dropping it from lower value vehicles. It’s also possible to raise the deductible on your Colorado to save money on collision insurance.
This coverage can cover damage that occurs to other’s property or people. This coverage protects you against other people’s claims. Liability doesn’t cover damage sustained by your vehicle in an accident.
Coverage consists of three different limits, per person bodily injury, per accident bodily injury, and a property damage limit. Your policy might show liability limits of 25/50/15 that translate to a $25,000 limit per person for injuries, a limit of $50,000 in injury protection per accident, and a total limit of $15,000 for damage to vehicles and property.
Liability coverage protects against things like pain and suffering, medical expenses, funeral expenses, bail bonds and repair bills for other people’s vehicles. How much liability should you purchase? That is a decision to put some thought into, but consider buying as large an amount as possible. Tennessee requires minimum liability limits of 25/50/15 but drivers should carry higher limits.
The chart below shows why minimum state limits may not be enough.
Comprehensive insurance pays for damage OTHER than collision with another vehicle or object. You first must pay your deductible then the remaining damage will be covered by your comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive coverage protects against things like theft, a broken windshield, hitting a bird, damage from getting keyed and fire damage. The highest amount your auto insurance company will pay is the ACV or actual cash value, so if the vehicle’s value is low it’s probably time to drop comprehensive insurance.
Coverage for medical payments
Med pay and PIP coverage reimburse you for expenses like nursing services, rehabilitation expenses and hospital visits. They are often used to cover expenses not covered by your health insurance plan or if you lack health insurance entirely. They cover you and your occupants and also covers being hit by a car walking across the street. Personal injury protection coverage is only offered in select states but can be used in place of medical payments coverage
Uninsured and underinsured coverage
This protects you and your vehicle’s occupants when other motorists are uninsured or don’t have enough coverage. Covered losses include injuries sustained by your vehicle’s occupants as well as damage to your Chevy Colorado.
Due to the fact that many Tennessee drivers only purchase the least amount of liability that is required (25/50/15 in Tennessee), it only takes a small accident to exceed their coverage. This is the reason having UM/UIM coverage is important protection for you and your family.
More comparisons equals cheaper rates
We just showed you a lot of ways to lower your Chevy Colorado insurance prices in Nashville. The key concept to understand is the more rate comparisons you have, the higher your chance of finding the cheapest Chevrolet Colorado rate quotes. Drivers may even discover the best price on car insurance is with some of the lesser-known companies. These companies may cover specific market segments cheaper as compared to the big name companies such as Progressive or GEICO.
Lower-priced car insurance in Nashville can be sourced both online in addition to local insurance agencies, and you need to comparison shop both to get a complete price analysis. A few companies may not provide online quoting and most of the time these small insurance companies only sell through independent agencies.
When you buy Nashville car insurance online, never reduce coverage to reduce premium. There have been many cases where drivers have reduced comprehensive coverage or liability limits and learned later that it was a big error on their part. Your strategy should be to get the best coverage possible for the lowest price, but don’t skip important coverages to save money.
How to buy affordable Chevy Colorado insurance in Nashville
If saving money is your primary concern, then the best way to get affordable Chevy Colorado insurance in Nashville is to begin comparing prices regularly from insurers who provide car insurance in Tennessee. This can be done by completing these steps.
- Get an understanding of how insurance companies determine prices and the measures you can take to prevent expensive coverage. Many things that cause high rates such as accidents, traffic violations, and a low credit score can be amended by improving your driving habits or financial responsibility.
- Quote rates from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Direct and exclusive agents can provide rates from one company like Progressive or State Farm, while independent agencies can provide rate quotes from many different companies.
- Compare the new rate quotes to the premium of your current policy and determine if cheaper Colorado coverage is available in Nashville. If you can save money and decide to switch, make sure coverage is continuous and does not lapse.
- Notify your current company to cancel your current auto insurance policy. Submit a down payment along with a completed application to the new company. Immediately upon receiving it, place the new proof of insurance certificate along with the vehicle’s registration papers.
The most important part of shopping around is to use the same deductibles and limits on every quote request and to quote with every insurance company. Doing this enables an apples-to-apples comparison and the best price quote selection.
More detailed car insurance information can be found by following these links:
- Insuring a Leased Car (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Rates for Teenagers in Nashville? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Nashville Auto Insurance Rates for Drivers Over Age 70? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for Uninsured Drivers in Nashville? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Nashville Auto Insurance for a Toyota RAV4? (FAQ)
- Side Impact Crash Tests (iihs.org)
- Electronic Stability Control FAQ (iihs.org)
- Choosing an Insurance Company (Insurance Information Institute)
- Comprehensive Coverage (Liberty Mutual)