If your goal is the lowest price, then the best way to find affordable quotes for Honda HR-V insurance is to compare prices once a year from different companies in Nashville. You can shop around by following these steps.
- First, try to learn about what coverages are included in your policy and the measures you can take to lower rates. Many rating criteria that drive up the price like accidents, traffic violations, and poor credit history can be improved by improving your driving habits or financial responsibility. Later in this article we will cover tips to get low prices and get bigger discounts.
- Second, compare rates from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Direct and exclusive agents can only give prices from a single company like Progressive or State Farm, while independent agencies can give you price quotes for a wide range of insurance providers.
- Third, compare the quotes to your current policy to determine if you can save on HR-V insurance in Nashville. If you find a lower rate quote and decide to switch, make sure the effective date of the new policy is the same as the expiration date of the old one.
- Fourth, provide written notification to your current company of your intention to cancel your current auto insurance policy. Submit a completed policy application and payment for your new coverage. Once the application is submitted, put the certificate verifying proof of insurance in your glove compartment.
One key aspect of rate comparisons is to make sure you enter the same amount of coverage on each quote request and and to get rate quotes from as many car insurance companies as possible. This guarantees an apples-to-apples comparison and a complete rate analysis.
Amazingly, most insurance buyers have remained with the same insurance company for more than four years, and 38% of customers have never compared rates to find cheap insurance. Tennessee drivers could save as much as 35% every year by just shopping around, but they underestimate how much they could save if they switch to a new company.
Locating the best insurance company for you in Nashville is really quite simple as long as you have a good starting point. If you have insurance now or want to find a cheaper company, you can use this information to save money while maximizing coverage. Consumers just have to understand the quickest method to find the lowest price instantly.
How do Car Insurance Companies Determine Honda HR-V Insurance Premiums?
Multiple criteria are used in the calculation when you get a price on insurance. A few of the factors are predictable such as traffic violations, but some are not quite as obvious like your vehicle usage or your financial responsibility. A large part of saving on car insurance is knowing the different types of things that play a part in calculating the level of your policy premiums. If you understand what determines premiums, this empowers consumers to make smart changes that will entitle you to cheaper rates.
The items below are some of the factors car insurance companies consider when setting your prices.
Men pay higher prices – Over the last 50 years, statistics have shown females are less aggressive when driving. Now that doesn’t mean men are worse drivers. Females and males have auto accidents at about the same rate, but males have costlier accidents. Men also statistically receive more costly citations such as driving while intoxicated (DWI) or driving recklessly.
Multi-policy discounts can save money – Most larger insurance companies afford lower prices to policyholders who consolidate policies with them in the form of a multi-policy discount. The amount of the discounts can be anywhere from five to ten percent in most cases. Even if you’re getting this discount consumers should still comparison shop to verify if the discount is saving money.
Marriage is a factor – Being married can actually save you money compared to being single. Marriage means you’re more responsible it has been statistically shown that drivers who are married are more cautious.
Lower rates with theft deterrents – Owning a car with anti-theft technology or alarm system can help lower your premiums. Advanced theft deterrents such as OnStar found on GM vehicles, advanced tracking like LoJack, and vehicle immobilization systems can thwart auto theft and help lower rates.
Drivers with excellent credit save – Your credit rating is a large factor in determining premium rates. Insureds that have high credit scores tend to be less risk to insure than drivers with poor credit scores. So if your credit score can use some improvement, you could pay less to insure your Honda HR-V by spending a little time repairing your credit.
Rates increase with driving citations – Only having one moving violation may cause rates to rise by twenty percent. Good drivers receive lower rates compared to drivers with tickets. Drivers who get severe citations such as DUI or reckless driving are required to maintain a SR-22 with their state’s department of motor vehicles in order to prevent a license revocation.
Liability coverage limits are a factor – Your car insurance policy’s liability coverage is the protection when you are found to be at fault for damages from an accident. It provides for a legal defense which can cost a lot. This coverage is very inexpensive when compared with rates for comp and collision, so do not cut corners here.
Do you qualify for discounts on Honda HR-V insurance in Nashville?
Insurance is not cheap nor is it fun to buy but companies offer discounts that could drop your premiums quite a bit. Many discounts should be triggered at quote time, but some discounts are required to be asked for before you will receive the discount.
- Use Seat Belts – Drivers who require all vehicle occupants to buckle up can save up to 10 percent (depending on the company) off the PIP or medical payment premium.
- Student Discount for Driver Training – Teen drivers should take driver’s ed class if offered at their school.
- Government Employees – Simply working for the federal government may reduce rates when you quote Nashville car insurance with a few insurance companies.
- Discounts for Responsible Drivers – Insureds who avoid accidents may receive a discount up to 45% compared to rates paid by drivers with frequent claims.
- Good Student Discount – Performing well in school can save 20 to 25%. Earning this discount can benefit you up until you turn 25.
- Senior Citizen Discount – Drivers that qualify as senior citizens are able to get a discount up to 10%.
You should keep in mind that some of the credits will not apply to the entire cost. Most only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as physical damage coverage or medical payments. So when it seems like it’s possible to get free car insurance, nobody gets a free ride.
Companies and a summarized list of policyholder discounts are shown below.
- GEICO discounts include seat belt use, air bags, multi-vehicle, federal employee, and driver training.
- Travelers may have discounts that include payment discounts, continuous insurance, good student, IntelliDrive, multi-policy, hybrid/electric vehicle, and student away at school.
- Nationwide offers discounts including easy pay, anti-theft, family plan, Farm Bureau membership, business or organization, and defensive driving.
- Farmers Insurance has discounts for early shopping, good student, teen driver, homeowner, and distant student.
- Esurance may include discounts for anti-lock brakes, homeowner, paid-in-full, renters, and good driver.
- State Farm policyholders can earn discounts including passive restraint, multiple policy, good driver, Drive Safe & Save, and safe vehicle.
- Progressive may offer discounts for multi-vehicle, homeowner, multi-policy, online signing, good student, and continuous coverage.
- Mercury Insurance includes discounts for professional/association, good student, accident-free, type of vehicle, good driver, anti-theft, and age of vehicle.
Before buying, ask each company or agent how you can save money. Some of the earlier mentioned discounts might not apply in Nashville. If you would like to choose from a list of providers who offer discounts in Tennessee, click this link.
Persistence will pay off
In this article, we covered many tips how you can shop for Honda HR-V insurance online. It’s most important to understand that the more quotes you get, the more likely it is that you will get a better rate. You may even be surprised to find that the lowest rates come from a small mutual company.
Cheaper Honda HR-V insurance in Nashville can be purchased both online in addition to local insurance agencies, and you need to price shop both in order to have the best price selection to choose from. Some insurance companies may not have price quotes online and many times these small insurance companies only sell through independent insurance agents.
As you prepare to switch companies, it’s not a good idea to buy poor coverage just to save money. In too many instances, consumers will sacrifice full coverage and discovered at claim time they didn’t purchase enough coverage. Your objective should be to buy enough coverage for the lowest price, but do not skimp to save money.
Additional auto insurance information is located at these links:
- Insurance losses by make and model (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Who Has Cheap Nashville Auto Insurance for a Dodge Ram? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Nashville Auto Insurance Rates for Drivers Over Age 70? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Nashville Car Insurance Rates for a Kia Forte? (FAQ)
- Distracted Driving (Insurance Information Institute)
- Eight Auto Insurance Myths (Insurance Information Institute)
- Preventing Carjacking and Theft (Insurance Information Institute)