It’s amazing but nearly 70% of customers kept buying from the same company for well over three years, and nearly the majority have never compared rates to find affordable insurance. With the average premium in America being $1,847, drivers could save $860 a year, but most tend to underestimate the amount of money they would save if they switch to a new company.
The preferred way to find low-cost Volvo S60 insurance is to start doing a yearly price comparison from insurers that insure vehicles in Nashville. This can be done by completing these steps.
- Try to understand the coverage provided by your policy and the steps you can take to keep rates in check. Many risk factors that drive up the price such as at-fault accidents, speeding tickets, and a bad credit rating can be eliminated by making small lifestyle or driving habit changes.
- Compare rates from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Direct and exclusive agents can provide rates from one company like Progressive or State Farm, while independent agencies can give you price quotes from many different companies. Compare rates
- Compare the price quotes to your existing coverage to see if switching to a new carrier will save money. If you find a lower rate quote and change companies, verify that coverage does not lapse between policies.
- Provide notification to your current company of your intention to cancel your existing policy and submit the application along with any required down payment to your new agent or company. Immediately upon receiving it, put the new certificate verifying coverage with the vehicle registration.
The most important part of shopping around is to use identical coverages on every quote and and to analyze as many car insurance companies as possible. This helps ensure a fair rate comparison and the best price quote selection.
Score discounts on Nashville car insurance
Auto insurance companies don’t list every discount available in an easy-to-find place, so the list below gives a summary of both well-publicized in addition to some of the lesser obvious discounts that you can inquire about if you buy Nashville auto insurance online.
- Federal Government Employee – Employees or retirees of the government may qualify for a discount when you quote Nashville auto insurance but check with your company.
- Accident Forgiveness Coverage – Not a discount per se, but a few companies such as Progressive and Allstate will turn a blind eye to one accident before they charge you more for coverage as long as you don’t have any claims for a specific time period.
- Passive Restraints and Air Bags – Vehicles equipped with air bags can get savings of 20% or more.
- Good Students Pay Less – Maintaining excellent grades can get you a discount of up to 25%. This discount can apply well after school through age 25.
- Save over 55 – Drivers that qualify as senior citizens can possibly qualify for a discount up to 10%.
- Payment Discounts – By paying your entire bill at once rather than paying monthly you could save up to 5%.
- Save with More Vehicles Insured – Insuring more than one vehicle with the same car insurance company can reduce rates for all insured vehicles.
- ABS and Traction Control Discounts – Anti-lock brake equipped vehicles are much safer to drive and the ABS can save up to 10%.
Drivers should understand that some of the credits will not apply to the entire policy premium. The majority will only reduce individual premiums such as liability, collision or medical payments. Despite the fact that it seems like having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, companies wouldn’t make money that way.
Insurance companies that have these benefits possibly include:
When getting free Nashville auto insurance quotes, it’s a good idea to every prospective company how you can save money. Some of the discounts discussed earlier might not be offered on policies in every state. If you would like to view companies with significant discounts in Tennessee, click this link.
Learn about car insurance coverages for a Volvo S60
Learning about specific coverages of a car insurance policy helps when choosing which coverages you need and proper limits and deductibles. The terms used in a policy can be confusing and reading a policy is terribly boring.
UM/UIM (Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist) coverage – Your UM/UIM coverage protects you and your vehicle’s occupants from other drivers when they either have no liability insurance or not enough. It can pay for medical payments for you and your occupants and damage to your Volvo S60.
Since many Tennessee drivers only carry the minimum required liability limits (25/50/15), their limits can quickly be used up. That’s why carrying high Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage is very important.
Liability – Liability insurance provides protection from injuries or damage you cause to a person or their property in an accident. It protects YOU against claims from other people. It does not cover your injuries or vehicle damage.
Split limit liability has three limits of coverage: bodily injury for each person injured, bodily injury for the entire accident and a property damage limit. You might see limits of 25/50/15 that translate to a $25,000 limit per person for injuries, $50,000 for the entire accident, and a total limit of $15,000 for damage to vehicles and property.
Liability insurance covers claims like repair bills for other people’s vehicles, legal defense fees, funeral expenses and repair costs for stationary objects. How much coverage you buy is up to you, but consider buying as high a limit as you can afford. Tennessee state law requires minimum liability limits of 25/50/15 but drivers should carry better liability coverage.
The illustration below shows why low liability limits may not be enough.
Medical payments and PIP coverage – Med pay and PIP coverage provide coverage for bills for surgery, hospital visits, funeral costs, EMT expenses and pain medications. The coverages can be used in conjunction with a health insurance plan or if you are not covered by health insurance. It covers you and your occupants and will also cover any family member struck as a pedestrian. PIP is not universally available and gives slightly broader coverage than med pay
Comprehensive auto coverage – This covers damage from a wide range of events other than collision. You first have to pay a deductible then the remaining damage will be covered by your comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive coverage protects against things such as falling objects, hitting a bird, fire damage, a tree branch falling on your vehicle and rock chips in glass. The maximum amount a car insurance company will pay at claim time is the actual cash value, so if it’s not worth much more than your deductible consider removing comprehensive coverage.
Collision coverage – This coverage pays for damage to your S60 resulting from a collision with a stationary object or other vehicle. You first must pay a deductible and then insurance will cover the remainder.
Collision coverage pays for claims like backing into a parked car, sideswiping another vehicle, hitting a mailbox and scraping a guard rail. This coverage can be expensive, so you might think about dropping it from vehicles that are older. Drivers also have the option to choose a higher deductible on your S60 to get cheaper collision coverage.
Be persistent to save money
Some insurance companies do not provide internet price quotes and most of the time these regional insurance providers only sell coverage through independent agents. Lower-priced car insurance in Nashville can be purchased from both online companies as well as from insurance agents, and you should be comparing both to have the best rate selection.
Insureds leave their current company for any number of reasons including policy cancellation, poor customer service, questionable increases in premium or even high prices. Whatever your reason, choosing a new company is not as difficult as it may seem.
Throughout this article, we presented a lot of tips how to find cheaper Volvo S60 insurance in Nashville. The most important thing to understand is the more companies you get auto insurance rates for, the better your chances of lowering your auto insurance rates. You may even discover the best price on car insurance is with the smaller companies.
- Crash Avoidance Technologies FAQ (iihs.org)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance Rates for Drivers with Accidents in Nashville? (FAQ)
- What Insurance is Cheapest for Drivers Under 25 in Nashville? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Nashville Auto Insurance Quotes for a Ford Fusion? (FAQ)
- Electronic Stability Control FAQ (iihs.org)
- Cellphones, Texting and Driving (iihs.org)
- Distracted Driving Extends Beyond Texting (State Farm)
- How Does Hitting a Deer Impact Insurance Rates? (Allstate)